Welcome to Headcorn, a village of distinction situated in the Low Weald of Kent. The village is a thriving community with an attractive High Street, £1.4m Village Hall and an enviable array of services, clubs and local business for its 5,790 residents (and growing).
Headcorn is one of the largest villages in the area, but which retains its culture and heritage through its history and architecture. The Old Cloth Hall is a reminder that this Wealden community benefitted from the boom in woolens that followed the 14th Century arrival of Flemish immigrants. Our ancient village can best be appreciated by a stroll along Church Walk. This quiet footpath with its medieval cottages was once the main road out of Headcorn.
Headcorn's history dates back to Roman times and earlier, as evidence of occupation has been found in the locality. It is known that there was a church at Hedekaruna in and around the time of the Domesday Book in 1086 as the church is recorded in the Domesday Monachorum, the ecclesiastical survey made at about the same time.
It must have started as a den or clearing in the days of the Kingdom of Kent. From the arrival of the weaving industry, the railway and its involvement in wartime to today, it has continued to be an active village, both commercially and by its villagers. It acts as a service centre for the surrounding villages as well as attracting tourists to te busy and historic High Street shopping area and around the church. Its new village hall is admired by many and attracts a large variety of activities. It is a great place to live in, or to visit.